Chicken Liver Pate
- 1 pound chicken livers, rinsed and trimmed
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup dry white wine (or chicken broth)
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- (Optional) Stir together the chicken livers and milk in a bowl. Set aside to soak for 2 hours, then drain and discard the milk.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onions have softened and turned translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, and drained chicken livers. Cook and stir until the livers have firmed on the outside but are still pink on the inside, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the wine (or broth) into the skillet and add the capers, salt, and pepper.
- Continue cooking until no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes more.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Scrape the livers into a blender or food processor, Puree to desired consistency.
- Cover and refrigerate. Serve chilled