This pork stock is a great base for oriental or bean soups.
Author: Beth Osmund
- 2 lbs pork (neck bones or hocks)
- 3 med. yellow onions (see note)
- 3-4 stalks celery
- 3-4 carrots
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. sage
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 Tbs. celery salt (omit if using cured hocks)
- 1 Tbs garlic, crushed (2 lg cloves)
- Note - When you clean onions cut off ends and peel dirty outer skin. Leave inner skin on to enhance the color of your stock.
- In a large stock pot sear pork on medium high heat until browned.
- Add vegetables.
- Add 6-8 quarts water.
- Add seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for approx. 5-6 hours.
- Remove from heat. Strain into another container (I use two 1 gallon pitchers and a mesh strainer.)
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove hardened fat from the top.